Pennsylvania Waste Minimization & Recycling Program Overview
Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
Bureau of Land Recycling and Waste Management
Division of Waste Minimization and Planning
Rachel Carson State Office Building
PO Box 8472, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8472
Pennsylvania Recycling Hotline: 800-346-4242
Business Assistance Guide
Solid Waste Facilities
State Recycling Organizations
The Department of Environmental Protection is divided into several Deputates to efficiently administer the variety of complex environmental programs. Each Deputate has several Bureaus, each containing Divisions, which administer the specific program areas.
The Waste Reduction and Resource Management Section and the Municipal Recycling Implementation Section are organized within the Division of Waste Minimization and Planning which is part of the Bureau of Waste Management.
The Division of Waste Minimization and Planning does the following:
- Oversees the municipal waste planning, recycling, and grant programs as authorized by Act 101, The Municipal Waste Planning recycling and Waste Reduction Act;
- Administers the resource recovery development grants program;
- Provides training, consultation, guidance, and technical assistance to planners, local and county officials, authorities, regional staff, and the public on all matters relating to municipal waste planning and resource recovery/ recycling development activities;
- Develops, monitors, and amends Pennsylvania's Solid Waste Management Plan and the Hazardous Waste Facilities Plan;
- Develops and evaluate recycling market studies and state waste management needs assessments;
- Administers recycling and planning grants programs; and,
- Administers Pennsylvania Covered device (electronics) Recycling Program.