Current Source Reduction, Reuse, Recycling, & EPP Projects & Initiatives
Click on the following links to learn more about specific projects:
Developing Solutions to Regulatory Challenges and Engaging Community Support to Expand Diversion of Food Waste to Anaerobic Digestion in the Northeast
NERC has entered into a two-year contract with the Northeast Waste Management Officials' Association (NEWMOA) to assist with the implementation of an anearobic digestion (AD) project. The project will develop guidance and training on environmental justice engagement and regulatory compliance to support AD in communities. NERC will provide the following services:
- Help form and participate in the Project Steering Committee.
- Assist with creating a contact list of AD operators, consultants, service providers, and environmental justice (EJ) groups in the
- Help form and participate in a Regulatory Workgroup.
- Assist with writing, publishing, and publicizing a regulatory guide for AD
- Assist with organizing and promoting a series of webinars about the regulatory guide targeting AD facilities and
- Assist with presenting about the regulatory guide in a webinar.
- Draft and finalize an EJ guide for AD operators.
- Publish and promote the EJ guide for AD
- Review and comment on the AD roadmap guide for EJ and other communities about AD operations and communities’ rights to participate in proceedings related to siting and permitting
- Help with overseeing the translation of the AD roadmap into
- Assist with planning, promoting, facilitating, and presenting two webinars on the EJ guide and
- Assist with presenting on the Project at three regional
- Help with planning promoting, and presenting in a national webinar at the end of the Project to share materials, lessons learned, and results.
Project staff lead: Mary Ann Remolador, NERC's Assistant Director.