Environmental Leadership Activities & Initiatives
- Provides direct technical assistance and information clearinghouse.
- Researches and pilots best management practices.
- Writes and publishes guidance documents on a wide range of topics.
- Develops innovative approaches to sustainable materials management.
- Maintains a dynamic website which includes a myriad of resources and tools in support of source reduction, reuse, recycling, and composting.
- Hosts annual conferences and workshops which offer in-depth information and discussions about emerging issues in the recycling and materials management fields.
- Produces a monthly Email Bulletin highlighting NERC news and updates, state and Advisory Member updates, Advisory Member spotlights, news and updates, and information of general interest
- Weekly blog
- Manages a green procurement listserv and organics management listserv
NERC manages a set of core programs including conferences, the EPPnet and Northeast Organics listservs, the Toxics in Packaging Clearinghouse, the State Electronics Challenge, and the Electronics Recycling Coordination Clearinghouse. Current grant-funded projects include a USDA project providing organics management education and technical assistance to rural and small town communities, a USDA project working on reuse in small towns in New York, and an EPA grant working with the hospitality industry to expand food waste diversion and composting.